Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Fishy business

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter08/PATTfishy.php I haven't posted in the past couple of weeks as I've been working and trying to knit the Dead Fish Hat (previous link).

My first try with working with circular needles was not properly memorialized in photos. Perhaps it is best as it was truly an experience. Imagine trying to wrestle an octopus with your hands tied behind your back and you will be on the way to understanding my first time with two circulars. Well, gee, being new to knit it did not dawn on me that the darn cables should be "relaxed" and here I am with them curled up on themselves! After that nightmare and spending the evening working the cables back and forth with my hands to relax them a bit, my helpful knit mentors (not mentioning names but their initials are Sarah, Pirk and Sherri) told me I should have taken the cables and dunked them in hot water. *blank look* Yes, I am a true babe in the knit woods and never thought of it. Hubby had headed toward the stove to hold the cables over open flame and all I could think of was the cables melting. (these are Clover bamboo's that I'm using)

I forged ahead. A couple of evenings I tossed the dead fish (that will be the death of me, I'm sure) aside as I was dropping stitches and goofing up left and right. I totally messed up kfb and ssk and we won't talk about my case of amnesia when it came to binding off the first half of the tail fin. I'm sitting there looking at it and there is the yarn to the right of my work and my last bind off stitch to the left. Hmmmm. A quick trip to youtube.com and I'm banging my head on the desk because I forgot the all important "knit the first stitch" part of binding off. So I'm just slipping two stitches on the right needle and then pulling number one over number two and going on SO happy that I'm almost done with fin side one! Ha!

Rip rip rip.

So, at this point I am halfway through fin one. I have a respectable looking kfb going and the ssk is looking good as well. I will NOT forget how to bind off this time!

No comments:

Post a Comment